Monday, January 3, 2011

Where are they now: Nancy Yockey Bonar

Nancy Yockey Bonar here. Found T-R site via Dick Farrell on Lindekin. (sorry for any typos)


I, too, was a T-R brat. In 1946 the Yockey family -- Harry, Martine and siblings Harry MERWIN and me -- moved from Canton to Dover. Dad had been at the Canton Rep (got his first job as a copy boy age age 15), took the sports editor job at the Dover Reporter.

Believe Art Hoopingardner was the owner, Henry Haglock, editor. I remember Jim Lonergan and Jack Shores as GMs, and there was a Paul Postelwaite.

When Dad was Reporter editor, I was in high school, I had a byline for a column, "Dig This Kid." And when, as KSU journalism student I interned at the paper (first time KSU allowed an internship with a relative), I remember the composing room's, Joe (Donato?) coming downstairs to the newsroom, asking me if I really meant to spell J.C. Penney manager's name,Norm Fuchs, the way I had. I'm sure I blushed.

I don't remember when Reporter, Phila Times merged. Do remember very well Jim "Moose" Davis, Norm Singleton, Mizers and too many others to list. Judy was extra special and I'm sorry I didn't maintain contact.

I do exchange Facebook messages with Dover's Larry Froelich who worked for dad before moving to the Akron Beacon Journal. Harry Liggett did the same thing.(I was an ABJ reporter/columnist, 1960-1965, married, had children, went into public relations as an accredited counselor, including to several Fortune 500 companies.

Retired from PR, 1999, do freelance as time allows. Late brother, Captain Harry Merwin Yockey (USN Ret), was a submarine commander, program manager for testing/development/successful Tomahawk Cruise Missile. He was interviewed by ABC when Tomahawks rained down on Baghdad at the start of the Iraqi War.

Thanks to Harry, I dived in two submarines, wrote about the first dive for the ABJ. Now, with the assist of the Submarine Force, I'm writing a sub-themed nonfiction book for the general public. This is my way of educating about the men of The Silent Service who, by the very nature of their missions, receive little or no public recognition. Some of the book sales will go to the more than 20 memorial/museum submarines across the country.

I'm active with the USS Cod memorial/museum, Cleveland. Perhaps I'll see some of there in spring/summer/fall?

That's it. Way more than you want to know, I'm sure. I'm in Medina; nanbonar@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment